Hello everybody! Looks like old man winter is finally getting its final kicks in. Tis that time of year once again for tinman and crew to take a long deserved rest. We will be shutting down our business on april 1st this year, and heading back to Wisconsin. WE will not be accepting any eBay or site orders after that. We expect to be reopening for normal business around sept 1. Our web site will still be open for inspection thru the summer and we will be working on it to improve it.
we would like to thank all of you for once again making this a record year for us, and look forward to serving you once again in the fall.
We have had quite an adventuresome year, not the least has been struggling with our new web site. Many have asked (myself included) why bother? I have been told it was necessary to create a secure site. While our objective is to be able to offer our items from our site at significant savings, over other advertised means, because we do not have to pay their very high fees. We then turn those savings over to you our customers.
2018/2019 news: Our business thanks to you has once again seen yet again another season of sales growth. More than we have ever imagined.
As we wind down this season and get ready for closing down or so we are in the process of making some interesting changes for example:
- We are seeing way too many tracks that are rusted and pitted beyond practical repair or refurbishing. Supplies are getting more and more scarce, and we must redouble our efforts to make sure our refurbished tracks will not end up as scrap or unusable for many years to come. We cannot re-tin tracks economically, but we can increase our focus on our TinMan Gen II tracks, eventually making it our exclusive offering. We want your great great grandchildren to open a box of tracks and run trains on them.
- O27 tracks, will be refocused for those who prefer to stay with O27 tinplate. This year we actually sold an equal amount of O27 tracks and switches vs O gauge. We will be increasing our production of Gen II painted tracks, and anticipate by next season we will be dropping our Bright and Shiny tracks in favor of the TinMan favorite Gen II tracks. Stainless steel pins will be installed on all tracks, switches, and remote control tracks we sell.
- O27 switches and controllers: We will redouble our efforts to provide the best working and longest lasting switches and controls and will include with every O27 switch:
- All O27 switches sold will have the provision for accessory power hook ups.
- All O27controllers will have the ROB NELSON cd system built in. This was an option that I personally was a little skeptical about, but now must admit, it is a really good system.
- All O27 switches will have NO D RAIL FUNCTIONS.
- All controllers we offer will have our oversized LED’s to indicate the switches positions.
- O gauge customers will also see the end of bright and shiny tracks, from us, however we will continue to provide what we call Korean era tracks, that were galvanized. These tracks, once we install the stainless steel pins, are acceptable for outdoor installations.
- WE are considering offering the Korean tracks with the GENII system, making them even more applicable for outdoor installations
- Our O gauge controllers for the uncoupler/unloader tracks are scheduled for redesign.
- O switches continue to be our mainstay reconditioning project, and we have resolved ourselves that the reconditioning process is a significant time investment and will continue to be. Our techs have surpassed over 1000 O22 style switches, and have determined there are no cute shortcuts that can be taken with them, and have them work to original or better standards.
- Transformers: This year we have created two test benches for testing and evaluating our transformers. This new equipment will accurately evaluate the performance of our transformers. Up until now we have been reluctant to sell transformers other than the KW and ZW models. With this new equipment we can now offer a wide range of transformers from Lionel and American flyer, and sell them with confidence knowing they will work properly for our customers. We have already been pleasantly surprised by what we are discovering with many of these transformers. Only the KW and ZW transformers will have our “bells are ringing” feature.
- We will be adding the Lionel/Ives standard gauge track and switches to our list of items we recondition.